Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chinchilli Day, Intermediate Workshops, and Guilt Removal...

So, in an attempt to remove some guilt from my conscious, I've taken off the Naruto fandub. Instead, I've put up my 2009 blooper reel. Enjoy the laughs. Some minor language warning in the first 15 seconds, but then it's clean for most of the rest of it. <.<

Yesterday was Chinchilli Day, according to Las Vegas. I really wish someone would have told me that yesterday. I'd have taken it off as well. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, go to Youtube and search for "Chinchilli Day."

So, now to the meat of this entry: The Intermediate BangZoom Workshop on Saturday. Again, let me reiterate how amazing these workshops are. Tony Oliver has officially become one of my heroes. He's nice, patient, and really knows how to help actors bring out the best from inside them.

The instance that stands out most to me involved some practice ADR a.k.a. dubbing. I was in the booth, headphones on, trying to match my voice and emotions to a scene from Rurouni Kenshin as the lead. Kenshin is a wandering samurai who has given up his killing ways to seek out a more peaceful life. However, the character Shishio has forced him into a fight where the only way to end it is for one of them to die. Kenshin finds new resolve in the fight by realizing that should he fail, countless innocents will suffer for it.

Now, that is a bit of a paraphrase, but it's just so you get the idea. I am most used to playing teenagers (which Kenshin is not), and particularly school students (which Kenshin is not). I've also rarely played anyone with any kind of anger involved. So this scene was an intense challenge, especially since I'd seen the original dub AND watched a friend (Sean Chiplock) win AX Idol doing the same scene. Both were extremely epic, and I tried very hard to achieve that same level of epic without copying either the original or Sean's performance. And it wasn't easy.

On the most important line of the scene, I had done 3 takes and still hadn't got the right feel that Tony wanted. I had gotten closer each take, but it was still missing something. And then, Tony said something that I honestly can't even remember, because it put me so into the character and the moment that I was very literally not myself anymore. When I watched the playback after we had finished, I was pretty much speechless. There was a strength to my voice that I've never heard before. I was very impressed. And I knew that I hadn't done it alone. It was at that moment that Tony more than proved himself in my eyes.

And what's more, it didn't stop there. Tony continued to do the same for each and every one of the other students in the class. So kudos to you, Tony. You have made my hero list. I hope you someday come to know of the appreciation I'm sure all of your actors feel for your wonderful directing. :)

Overall, another day and wad of cash thoroughly well-spent. If I get the chance to, I will do it again. It's that worth it.

Anywho, Crispin Freeman's Intermediate workshop is this Saturday. This will end my month-and-a-half-long run of workshops and money tossing. I can't do any more for the time being, but my resolve has not been lost. I'm just getting warmed up! >:3

Also, if you get the chance, check out a new radioplay I'm in called Alex Harcourt. I play the lead (luckily), and am definitely using this as both a learning experience and a resume builder, since it's completely original. Link is here: http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/showthread.php?t=46528.

No comments:

Post a Comment